Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Classic pwn consulting

This email pretty much sums up why I decided to do this:
hey, RC has visitors from australia and
wants to take a trip to show them the fall colours. can you please forward me that email you sent out a few days ago regarding the fall colours and where it's good at this time of year?

To which the response was:

Hey,
See
http://ontariotravel.net/publications/fallcolourreport.pdf. It's released every Mon and Thurs.
Here's the key highlights:
<>

Just FYI - I was in Algonquin on Sunday and it was pretty much ideal. However, if there's a rainstorm, I suspect that a lot of leaves will simply drop. Depending on who you're taking (i.e. level of athleticism, age, etc.), the Centennial Ridges trail makes for a great day hike, with lots of views. The Ragged Falls looked great on Sundayas well. South of Algonquin, I didn't see much. Maybe by next weekend that will have changed, but as of right now, I didn't think even Dorset was that good.

Two quick thoughts:

1. Indian summer is the best time of the year in southern Ontario - all the upside of summer (good weather, great umm scenery, etc.) with the upside of autumn (good real scenery, not stupidly hot and humid, fewer tourists and kids in the way, etc.).

2. People dump on the gov't all the time (myself included), but how cool is this report? It combines data and guidance and promotions for the tourism industry. Nice. I'm a big fan.

...And that in turn reminded me that my antipodean housemate's parents are apparently arriving in our (under renovation) hovel, and he's decided that they should go canoeing to truly experience Canada. To which, I say "Good call!" however, he has decided to outsource the planning of this to, umm, pwnc. More later.


No comments: