Sunday, December 05, 2004

Friday interlude

Oh, what do you think of this? I stopped by the St L market to pick up some cheeses for the dinner, and I headed to the bank machine next to the Harveys, across the street from the market first. A guy in his late 30s-early 40s, reasonably well dressed, came up to me and apologetically asked me for $1.75 b/c he'd ordered a combo and didn't have enough to pay for it. I flipped him some change from my pocket,and turned the corner to wait in line for the ATM. He walks back into the Harveys. I move ahead in line, start to key in my numbers. I hear a voice behind me, asking someone else in the line for the ATM, "I'm so sorry - I just ordered a combo and it turns out, I don't have enough cash to pay for it - could I trouble you for $2?" The guy he asks fumbles around in his coat pocket and gives him some cash. I'm slightly irked, but don't do anything. The burger-bum (as I shall now dub him) walks back into the Harveys. I cross the street slowly to the market, and get stranded on the island in the middle of Front St. for a minute or so. As I go to jaywalk south to the front door, who should be walking relatively near me? Burger bum. So I say aloud, "That's a nice scam you've got there." He looks startled, and doubles his speed and walks off along Front, while I go into the market and try to track down some raw milk cheeses.

Questions:
1. Is it bad form for him to use deception to beg for money?
2. Is it unethical?3. Is it ethical for me to judge him?
4. For me to judge other vagrants who ask for $$?
5. Why did it/does it irk me?

No comments: