Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Recently Read:: Lorraine Adam's Harbor

I liked it. But then again, I'm still at work at 8:30 on a Wednesday. So, while I sit on hold, trying to get Budget Rent-A-Car to mail the CDs I left in the car, I'll tag the following reviews that articulate why it was a good book.
The
characters:

He and his friends go clubbing in shoplifted suits, fall in love, try to figure out American body language and slang and often get it wrong. They get fake papers, commit minor insurance fraud, live on the edge, always terrified of the authorities. Adams draws her characters with compassion and humor, taking us inside their heads by means of an invented idiom crafted from her protagonists' fractured English and fluid Arabic cadences, at once poetic and deliberately ungainly: "But Rafik this early was asleep," Aziz thinks. Or "the acrid of bus bellied up to them."
A review by a Muslim blog

List of reviews:

Oh - I did reach someone in Calgary. But, no, they've gone home for the day.

No comments: