Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Pearls Before Breakfast

The Washington Post has a brilliant concept piece, perfectly written and illustrated with video. Wow. Joshua Bell, Kant, Stradivarius, Koyaanisqatsi and the life of a commuter all in one article.
Likely the best article I've read in months - and those that know me know that encompasses several thousand articles (which is actually an interesting point in itself. I should one day work out just how many words a day I read. A scary thought, greatly in inverse proportion to how much I write). I wonder if it will actually change my behaviour on a day to day basis.
Anyway, I imagine that the WashPost will take it offline or behind subscriber doors soon, so I highly recommend reading/watching/pondering it.
Also - a follow-up here.
and here
and here

1 comment:

Pace-James said...

It's funny. I don't know how many times I paused (never stopped!) to listen to the buskers in the TTC stations. I don't think I ever gave them money, but I know that if I thought they were good I'd slow down a bit to take it in (again, never actually stopping - I was far too busy for that!)

Fast forward to today. I know that if I was in a TTC station with Aidan and there was someone playing beautiful music, we'd have to stop and listen - for a while. Aidan LOVES music and I know that I would stop with him so he could listen and appreciate something that I personally could never replicate.

Great article!