Monday, October 25, 2004

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished.

So parent's church is sending a container of items for a Grenada Relief Project (after Hurricane Ivan hit the island this autumn, about two-thirds of Grenada's 90,000 people have been left without shelter). See: http://www.grenadaemergency.com/photo.html orhttp://www.spiceisland.info/ or http://www.hvuc.ca/#grenada for details.
Among the items requested are:
* Cotton shirts - short sleeves, cotton tee or golf shirts
* Jeans - outgrown, used.
* Shoes - athletic styles. * All sizes welcome.
My parents thought that it was likely I could donate some of this. When they mentioned it, I figured that most of my sports playing friends have excess T-shirts lying around (hell, I still have some ofsaa '92 shirts in my closet) - so I emailed / phoned around, and collected roughly three carloads of used clothes.

Anyway, so having running around the city for a couple days, people donated roughly three carloads of clothing. Which is great.

What isn't so great is that my car was broken into as someone thought the fullbags and boxes contained something valuable. That said, they didn't consider the used clothes to be too valuable, so they dumped them all on the sidewalk, meaning that the donations will still end up going to Grenada, but still... Anyway, it turns out that most of the window repair places are closed on weekends (which seems asinine to me, but what do I know about business practices?) and the repair will be >$100 - or roughly $100 more than the thief obtained from their "smash and grab." Jackass.

No comments: