Thursday, October 14, 2004

TheStar.com - Device records driving habits

Interesting concept. I think it would suck for me, but be great for my mom - which is likely what the insurers want. And, if it takes off, eventually, my simple refusal to be in the system would increase my rates as an outlier. If the Star kills the link, here's some highlights:

>>Aviva Canada Inc., the largest insurer of Ontario automobiles, will today unveil plans to start a pilot project in 2005 that will test how 5,000 drivers like to have their driving monitored electronically. Those who agree to use a simple device to record their top speed, average speed, mileage, dates and time of travel will automatically receive a 5 per cent discount. Further savings of up to 20 per cent will be offered to motorists who do the least driving at the least risky times of the day and week.

No comments: